Admissions and Application
1. Applications are invited for admissions in September 2024 for the degree of Master of Arts (MA) in the field of AI, Ethics and Society. The curriculum shall extend over one academic year of full-time study or two academic years of part-time study.
2. Applications to study the degree full-time will be assessed in two rounds. The deadline for the first round shall be 12:00 noon (Hong Kong time) December 28 2023. The deadline for the second round shall be 12:00 noon, March 28 2024. Applications to study the degree part-time will be assessed solely in one round, the deadline of which shall be 12:00 noon (Hong Kong time) on March 28 2024.
3. To be eligible for admissions to the programme, a candidate shall satisfy both the University Admissions Requirements and the Programme Specific Requirements as listed below:
(a) shall comply with the General Regulations;
(b) shall hold
(i) a good Bachelor's degree of this University; or a qualification of equivalent standard from this University or another comparable institution accepted for this purpose; and
(ii) a good Bachelor's degree with a major in philosophy; or a good Bachelor's degree with a major in another subject with experience of studying issues relevant to AI, Ethics and Society;
(c) for a candidate who is seeking admissions on the basis of a qualification from a university or comparable institution outside Hong Kong of which the language of teaching and/or examination is not English, shall satisfy the University English language requirement applicable to higher degrees as prescribed under General Regulation G2(b).
The programme has its specific requirements for TOEFL and IELTS:
TOEFL: Paper-based test (PBT)
TOEFL: Internet-based test (iBT)
Overall score of 550 with 4 in Test of Written English (TWE)
Overall score of 80 with 25 in Writing
Band 7 with no subtest lower than 5.5
Note: Only TOEFL/IELTS scores recorded in the two years before the date of application are considered.
(d) shall satisfy the examiners in a qualifying examination if required.
4. An application for exemption from the above requirements shall be considered on a case-by-case basis.
5. Applications for this programme and payment of application fee (HK$300 per application) should be submitted online at https://admissions.hku.hk/tpg.
6. After submitting the online application, applicants are required to upload the supporting documents before the application deadline and within four weeks from the date of the creation of their application account. A checklist of the required supporting documents is available at https://admissions.hku.hk/tpg/programme-list-2324.
7. In order to support the University’s environmental friendly initiatives, documents uploaded to the system should NOT be delivered to the University by post in duplicate, except for the official score report of TOEFL.
HK$270, 000 (Subject to change and the University’s approval)